Wednesday, April 14, 2010


Its been another long day today. C-h-a-o-t-i-c at work, really I'm praying things will return to normal soon. 

Managing people opens up an entirely new perspective for me. Its no longer how good am I / how efficient am I / how well I perform my job function. Its now how well can my team members function and support the business. 

How should I juggle between keeping my peeps happy, yet at the same time meeting the business needs?

Hardwork, and mindset shift. And pots of patience and an open heart.

I have an employee who is under-performing. As the lead, I am responsible to see where are the gaps, and I don't fancy honey coating my feedback. The Confused is well aware that he is under immense scrutinization by The Boss after several complaints made against him by another team.

I took him in as I believe he should be given a proper chance to learn and prove himself. But yes, indeed he is prone to make mistakes. And this cannot go on, unless he wants to be kicked out; and I know he wants this job.

How do you deliver the message that says you're not doing a good job; but without tearing him apart? Tactfulness. Yeah, easier said than done buddy.

This is the first time my peep broke down in front of me. And there and then I knew he really needs help. His confidence are shattered and he still mind about what others feedback-ed on him before. He is shouldering the burden of not letting go alone. 

When you are not happy at work, you can't perform.
When you do not understand your job function, you can't perform.
When your confidence is in pieces and you cannot pick them up, you simply can't perform.

With 3 teams to focus on - I need all the sleep I can get to take on this new challenge. Welcome to the world of people managing, Foxy!

When I wake up tomorrow, I'm sure The Confused would be a better person :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment